Monday, November 14, 2011

Day 6 & 7


So, I missed yesterday again, but I was definitely grateful for something.
Day 6:
Yesterday I was so grateful for my roommates. We came home from church together, made dinner, walked to a fireside, and then we baked our hearts out so we could throw a dessert social! It was a blast, but it wouldn't have happened if it hadn't been for my awesome roommates. We all had so much fun just eating and socializing. We all get along so well I just don't know what I'd do without them. I love the relationships we have as an apartment.
Here's a pic of my roomies this semester!

Day 7: Monday
I am grateful for my Mom and Dad. I had a nice long conversation with them tonight and I just love that I get to have that relationship with my parents. It started out as just my Dad and then my mom wanted in on the talk, so she picked up another phone and we had a three way discussion on random things- like jury duty and my teeth and boys...
I realize that most teenagers and young adults don't enjoy talking with their parents that much, but I feel so blessed to have always had understanding and easy communication between us. I think that is really something special. I love my parents. They're so old fashioned an unique.
My Dad is quite a character, and an unmatched one. He randomly speaks in Norwegian, but because he's been doing that my whole life, I pretty much understand what he's saying when he says, "Katelyn would you velsing a denna matten?" OK, I have no idea how you spell that in Norwegian, but it means, Katie would you please bless the food? He's been doing that for years- evidence of this is my older brother in a home video at age 10 trying to speak Norwegian while holding up the flag, but he's saying what my dad always says. Classic. My Dad has also taught me so many life lessons. I've learned the value of doing things yourself from him. I've learned to support the small businesses because someone has to keep the people trying to live the American dream. Being the president of a company my grandpa started, he understands how important it is to help out the little guys in business. He gave me a very sensitive spirit. He'll cry in almost any movie- and so will I. I love it. It's funny how much I realize I'm so much like both of my parents.
My mom is amazing. Pretty much everyday while I was growing up, we had dinner at 6:00. My best friends who lived down the street knew this and would know exactly when they had to go home or when I had to go home because dinner was always at 6:00. This wasn't a rigid schedule rule in my house, but that's the kind of mother she was. My dad would come home from work whistling to the dog and my mom would have dinner on the table when he walked in. Then she would call all of the kids and we'd come in, wash our hands, say a prayer, and eat our dinner. My mom is like the mom in Father Know's Best, or Leave it to Beaver. At least once a week I would come home from school to the smell of cookies in the oven and my mom working in the kitchen happily. The thing is, she doesn't do it just so that we can be fed. She does it because she really truly loves to cook, and bake, and keep the house clean. To me that is everything I want to be. She was always there when I came home from school. Whenever I had a bad day, she would be there to come in my room and spend 1/2 an hour talking it over with me and making me feel better. Mothers have a natural ability to do that, but I think my mom is special in that way. She loves to serve. I don't know how many times she would be cooking two meals- one for us and one for a family in the ward. Usually she gave away the better of the two meals. She raised me on good wholesome music in the car. I love to listen to all of her old tapes and go back to those memories of singing "Born too Late", "Johnny Please Wait for Me", and "You Never Know" in the back of the car in my car seat. She taught me to love the good things in life and to stay away from those things that would weaken my testimony. Looking back now I can see how all of those little moments added up to those major life lessons I needed. Oh and did I mention that she goes to the gym everyday for over an hour and she's old enough to have a grand daughter in college? I hope I'll live up to that!
Anyway, I'm very grateful for my parents!
Dad was a stud!!


No comments:

Post a Comment